Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hearing the still, small voice of creativity

Sometimes the creative flow is high-energy, even a little manic.  Other times, creativity requires a very calm, quiet mood.  In that latter case, it's very important to be able to clear your mind and "listen" to quieter inner thoughts.

You will have your own ebb and flow of energy.  Personally, I find that my body helps to tell me which mode I am in.  If I feel energetic, I end up typing fast and furious, having lots of ideas.  At other times, ideas come more slowly.  Yet these slower times can produce deeper, more sustained creative insights.  To take advantage of that quieter energy, I like to clear my mind and let it move at its own pace.

My favorite exercise for clearing my mind is actually an ancient one from India (there are many and you should choose one that suits you):

I sit at my desk and choose any object on it, and then really observe its physical qualities.  For example, now I am looking at a glass jar. I notice everything about it, from how big or small it is, to how it reflects the light, to any dust on its surface.  Then, when the picture is really clear in my mind, I say to myself:  "I am not that [thing]."  The moment that I do that, my mind sort of snaps back into itself and I become aware of my mind in a very sharp way.

Whatever exercise you use, clear away the cobwebs of your mind when you need to capture a deeper, quieter creative flow.  Still waters really do run deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment